installs

Suspension upgrades

Well the last couple of weekends we’ve been working on doing some rear suspension upgrades as we still had things like the stock OEM rear trailing arm bushings.  Also the suspension setup last year was definitely a weak point for us.  Running on soft H&R springs paired with koni yellows really didn’t give me the confidence that I needed on the track.

We decided to upgrade to a set of Ground Control coil over sleeves matched with the Koni yellow shocks, as this seems to be a very popular combination with many Honda road racing teams.  I opted for a 450lb spring up front and a 400lb spring in the rear.  This is a little bit different then most Honda setups as guys generally try to go heavier in the rear. Our car is running a larger ASR rear sway bar so I opted for something more manageable as the car is already setup to over steer with the larger diameter rear bar.

To go along with the upgraded suspension I decided to replace the stock rear trailing arm bushings for a set of PCI offset spherical bushings.  The offset PCI unit allows you to adjust bump steer in the rear which will be nice to play with once we get the rest of the suspension dialed in.

Overall the RTA install was straightforward.  My dad and I had to fabricate our own tool that would go over the RTA allowing us to hammer it out (unfortunately we didn’t have a socket large enough or the Honda RTA removal tool).  Once we welded something together from bits of my old 3″ exhaust and some thick steel pieces it was fairly straight forward to knock the old RTAs out.

The only real problems we encountered were seized bushings and let me tell you these were a REAL PITA to remove.  The first occurrence was on the passenger side toe adjuster where bushing and bolt had fused and we could not remove it, we had to cut the bushing out.  Also we lost the nut in to body and had to use some copper wire to fish it out and hold it in place for the new toe adjuster.

On the driver side everything seemed to be going well until the same thing happened where a bushing and bolt fused when we tried to remove the stock rear camber end-link.  Again we were forced to cut out the bolt but this time we also had to cut out the nut from the trailing arm.  This left us with having to use a nut to mount the endlink back.

Overall this was not a pleasant install and it would have been a little bit easier had we had a lift.  If we didn’t have to deal with the seized bolts though I think the install would have been fairly straight forward.  The results are definitely worth it as the car is much more responsive, and a heck of a lot stiffer.

Here’s some pictures from the install:

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.